Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Crafty! Baskets & Pillows!

Since the invites are all sent and people might be stopping by the blog via the website link, I figured it was time to make a new post.

This post is about our super handsome ring bearer and our very lovely flower girl. Or at least it's about the items they will be holding on August 19th. Lets start with Sydney's basket.
I happened to come across pictures like this and figured I would try to make one:
Vintage Doily Basket

After finding a doily, deciding an old trash would work to help shape the doily, and applying a lot of fabric stiffener with a paint brush I had a basket-shaped doily. Add a little ribbon to help keep it together (and for a pretty little touch, of course) and a pearl necklace from Goodwill and here you have it, Sydney's basket in all it's glory!
doily2 doily

And so the dilemma of a ring bearer pillow for Braxden came up. I tried to convince Will that I could make one out of doilies. It would be pretty and match Sydney's basket. Something like...this:
(Picture borrowed from here.)

Luckily for Braxden, Will wasn't going to let that happen. That idea was much "too girly" for the ring bearer to hold. In fact I do remember Will mentioning that maybe we could throw some barbed wire on it to make it more masculine...
So I went back to my search for the perfect ring pillow. Then I found these two pictures:
(Picture borrowed from here.)
(Picture borrowed from here.)

I showed Will the pictures and we had a winner! Moss = manly! So, that was all fine and dandy, but how to make a pillow? I mean, the first one has instructions, but I was much more infatuated with the second picture than the first. It was time for a trip to Hobby Lobby!

I picked up some moss and ribbons and went to work. The following pictures are what you get when you tear up some cardboard boxes, put moss over it, and add some ribbon: pillow pillow2

So, there you have it! We're pretty happy with the results of both projects! Hope you enjoyed this segment of our blog!